To minimize recovery time objective (RTO), is it essential to adopt a disaster recovery strategy to achieve your goals.
To ensure faster RTO, it is recommended to:
- Perform Disaster Recovery backup on a newly installed machine with all important programs installed on the system: This ensures a clean and consistent system recovery
- Keep your Disaster Recovery backup as small as possible: Try not adding any additional files to the backup. Once your system is up, restore your data backups.
- Perform Disaster Recovery backup on an external backup device: This will reduce the risk of erroneous deletion, virus attacks, etc… on the actual backup job.
- Perform separate backups of your personal data: Genie Backup Manager (GBM) enables fast backup and restore of data backups inside Windows environment. Therefore, it is recommended to perform recurrent-scheduled data backups to avoid minimum data loss.
- Perform system state backups occasionally: This helps keeping the latest information of the Registry, boot files, and services such as Active Directory service, Certificate Service database, COM+ Class Registration database, SYSVOL directory.*
- Backup your SQL and Exchange Backups as separate jobs: Backing up MS SQL and Exchange should be performed based on the data changes and how critical the data is.*
*Only available in the Server edition of Genie Backup Manager (GBM).