Formatting Optical Media
Genie Backup Manager (GBM) comes with a CD/DVD formatting tool that can perform both quick erase and full disc format.
This feature can only be used with re-writable optical media.
- New blank discs need not be formatted before using them with GBM. However, if the disk has been written to previously using a packet writing software then it needs a full format before GBM can use it for backup.
- When using packet writing, make sure the disc you wish to backup to has been formatted using the third party packet writing software.
Setting a backup job to automatically erase CD/DVD discs before backup:
- From the left navigation menu in the backup wizard select Where to Backup.
- Select CD/DVD/Blu-ray media option.
- Make sure the Automatically erase disc before backup option is selected.
Automatic disc erase uses quick erase, not full format.
Manually erasing CD/DVD discs:
- From the Toolbar of GBM software, click Tools → Format Re-Writable CD/DVD/Blu-ray….
- Select the drive letter of the recorder containing the disk you wish to erase.
- Select one of the following options:
- Quick Format: Quickly delete the contents of the disk (takes around 1-2 minutes to complete)
- Format: Fully format disc (might take around 30 minutes or more to complete).
Quick erasing re-writable disks might render them ’r;stubborn’ after a number of erases, it is recommended to perform a format every 7-10 quick erase sessions to revitalize the disk.
APPLIES TO: Genie Backup Manager (GBM)